Acts - Who is in Charge Around Here?
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: Who is in charge of the progress of Christian faith?
- It is NOT furious opponents who want to kill.
- It is NOT moderate people giving mixed messages.
- It is NOT decisions marked by half-measures.
- It IS the Name – Jesus as the Christ.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Have you ever asked the question “who is in charge around here anyway?” Can you think of when or where? What kind of answer did you receive? How was it satisfying?
- In response to the question of who is in charge, the answer is NOT opponents who want to kill. Discuss the opposition to Christian teaching by religious leaders in 5:17, 18, 28, 33. Where or when do you face resistance to the Christian gospel?
- In response to the question of who is in charge, the second answer is NOT moderate people with mixed messages. Gamaliel believes God’s ways may not be stopped; however, he also believes man’s ways will fail (v. 38). How does Gamaliel’s proposal work… and not work… for discerning the ways of God among people?
- In response to the question of who is in charge, the third answer has to do with decisions marked by half measures. On what basis did the leaders decide to beat the apostles? How did the apostles respond? How do you respond to unjust treatment?
- The ultimate answer is the Name – Jesus as the Christ. Review the benefits of the Name, 3:19-21; 4:8-12.
We want to extend a special welcome to visitors and guests, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. Pastor Jeff will meet you at the Welcome Center, where you can also receive a special gift when you turn in a Communication Card.
The Elders are asking members of Aspen Ridge Church to prayerfully consider nominating qualified men as elder candidates. Nomination forms are available in the church office and must be returned to the church office by the end of June.
SUMMER AFFINITY GROUPS
Summer is here! What better way to enjoy the summer sun than to join a summer affinity small group? We’ve got groups focused on fishing, Jeeping, volleyball, hiking and golfing. Eric has posted a blog article with more info on our website and he will be in the Lobby this weekend to answer any questions.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
Vacation Bible School is here! On Monday, June 4 through Friday, June 8 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM, we will shout and cheer through God’s mighty acts of victory, along with Go Fish’s Victory curriculum. Also, please join us for the first outdoor service this summer on Saturday, June 9, with a barbecue dinner following to honor our VBS workers, kids and families!
On June 9 at 8:00 AM, we’re opening up the typical “men’s breakfast” to include spouses, as we’ll have a special speaker on Love and Logic parenting topics. Childcare is available, if reserved, and we’d love to know how many are attending so we can make sure there’s enough breakfast for all. Contact us at Info@AspenRidgeChurch.org to reserve your spot.
SUMMER FUN AT DV8 BACK PORCH
Back Porch kicks off on Thursday, June 7. Back Porch is a combined middle and high school student event that happens every Thursday in June - July - August. Meet at the church at 6:00 PM for a van ride to that evening’s location and we will return at 9:00 PM.
BABY BOTTLES ARE HERE
During the weeks that separate Mother’s Day from Father’s Day (May 13 - June 17), Life’s Options Pregnancy Center makes baby bottles available for your donations. Just fill the bottles with pocket change and return the filled bottles to church on Father’s Day weekend. Your small change makes a BIG difference!
FAITH DAY AT THE ROCKIES
Faith Day at the Rockies is Sunday, July 29 at 1:10 PM vs. the Oakland Athletics, with Rockies players speaking after the game. The post-game concert features Passion. Please put this on your calendar and watch for more details to come.
AUGUST 4: CHURCH-WIDE SERVICE PROJECT
We’re getting our hands dirty in our community at Evergreen Lake, downtown Evergreen and Marshdale. We’ll spend a half-day serving through projects to clean up our beautiful public areas. We are praying for those that serve and those that will be served. We’d love to see our church body dedicate some time to this project.
BRIDAL SHOWER INVITATION
Ladies, you are invited to a bridal shower and summer garden lunch to celebrate the marriage of Elizabeth Cotton to Michael Fera, grandson of Judy Fera, on Sunday, June 10 at 12:00 PM, in the Fellowship Hall. If you wish to give gifts, gift cards and monetary gifts are appreciated, or go to the newlywed registry at theknot.com to make a gift to their honeymoon fund online. They are also registered at Bed Bath and Beyond. Please RSVP to Bonnie Rose at email@example.com or Judy Fera at firstname.lastname@example.org.