The Height of Faith - God is Speaking to You
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Do not refuse the God who is speaking to you.
- The Past – learn from Israel’s refusal at Sinai and beyond, v. 25.
- The Future – face warning of the second coming and judgment, v. 26-7.
- The Present – be grateful for receiving an unshakeable kingdom, v. 28-9.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Can you remember a time or season in your life when God seemed silent? How did it feel?
- This passage is the final warning passage in Hebrews. There are (at least) two errors one can find in relation to warning passages… one can be dismissive in treating this lightly, or one can be too heavy-handed. What is the right way to use this warning passage?
- The nation and people of Israel are meant to be an object lesson, in the way of warning the hearers of this Hebrews epistle. What can be learned from Israel’s history? How does Hebrews 2:2-4 inform our answer?
- Christ’s second coming has received more than a little attention in Hebrews. This will be marked by shaking away that which is not lasting from that which is eternal. Where might you be too attached to transitory things? How can you un-attach?
- There is a huge emphasis placed on being casual in our culture today. However, this passage warns us against taking a casual attitude toward our relationship with God. How can we resist a casual attitude that does not give God the respect He deserves?
Taking it Home: There is a present application in the way of gratitude. Instead of thanking God for provisions and favor, thank Him for belonging to an unshakeable kingdom.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. Pastor Jeff will meet you at the Welcome Center, where you can also receive a special gift when you turn in a Communication Card.
SMALL GROUP SIGN-UPS
The beginning of our winter small group session is January 7. Please stop by the table in the lobby for detailed information, or you may check out listings online.
The Bridge provides an orientation to Aspen Ridge Church life. Those who are new to us, who want to discover a small group and who want to find a way to serve are invited. Dinner will be provided, and the session is scheduled on January 7 from 4:00 - 7:30 PM in the Fellowship Hall, with childcare available.
THE GOD WHO IS THERE
Most people do not have a basic working knowledge of the Bible. How can we understand the story of God—and our part in it—when we’re not familiar with it? In this basic introduction to faith, D.A. Carson takes you through the big story of Scripture to help you know what you believe and why you believe it. Pastor Jeff and Dan Dube will host this course on Wednesday nights (6:30 – 7:50 PM) beginning on January 10.
For our regular men’s breakfast, on Saturday January 13 at 8:00 AM, Aspen Ridge will host Barry Schroeder, Evergreen Bank Manager for FirstBank. Barry will speak about “Best Financial Practices” for 2018 and beyond. This would be a great opportunity to bring a friend!
LIVE IT OUT
Thanks to all who are contributing to Live It Out as we intentionally reach out to our community in practical and loving ways. To contribute, note “Live It Out” on or with your gift.
Gifts (pledged and unpledged) received to date: $109,717
Remaining pledged amount: $ 28,304
If you are joining us for our Saturday evening service, please consider staying afterwards for our monthly Soup’er Saturday! There is no cost, and a variety of soups will be available, including a gluten-free option. All are welcome.
WISDoM – WOMEN IN SPIRITUALLY DIVERSE MARRIAGES
A Christian polling firm (Barna) tells us that nearly 13 million women attend church alone on any given Sunday. If you find yourself, or someone you know, in a spiritually diverse marriage, we have a ladies small group called WISDoM that meets on the 1st and 3rd Sundays at 9:00 AM in room 202. Our group studies Scripture to help us understand God’s place for us and share our experiences in keeping faith. Contact Julie at email@example.com if you’d like more information.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT DINNER
Our Wednesday night activities are starting back up! Dinner is served at 5:30 PM on Wednesday nights. This week, our menu includes Pasta Fagioli soup, bread, salad and dessert for $2.50/person or $10/family. We would love to meet you there.
Join us for prayer on Sunday mornings, downstairs in the Fireside Room from 10:15 - 10:40 AM. This is a special time to pray for our weekend services and the advance of the gospel. There is also a student-led group meeting during this time; please see Pastor Kreg for details.
Aspen Ridge Church has a rental property available for immediate occupancy. This property is a 2300 sqft, 3BR/3BA house with a 2-car garage. If you or someone you know might be interested in this opportunity, please contact Shephard Realty at 303.674.3343.
UPCOMING WOMEN’S MINISTRY EVENT
What IF we followed God with perseverance instead of insecurity? Come be a part of the two-day If:Gathering 2018 conference at Ascent Church in Evergreen to worship and study God's Word. During this time, speakers from all over the country will help inspire and equip, as they direct to truth. The dates are Friday, February 9-Saturday, February 10. The cost is $36, which covers snacks on Friday, and breakfast and lunch on Saturday.