The Height of Faith – Jesus Christ Higher than the Angels
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
An introduction to __________.
Hebrews 1:7 – “He makes His angels winds…” Hebrews 1:14 – “Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve…”
Question: How does one know that Jesus is higher than the angels?
- Jesus is higher because of His unique relationship to the __________.
Passage #1 – You are my Son; today I have become your Father, Psalm 2:7
Passage #2 – I will be His Father, and He will be my Son, 2 Samuel 7:14.
- Jesus is higher because the angels are important, but __________.
Passage #3 – Let all God’s angels worship Him, Deuteronomy 32:43.
Passage #4 – He makes His angels spirits, and His servants flames of fire, Psalm 104:4.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: All of us have inherited a name. What unique legacy have you received in and with your name? What does your name say about what you inherited from your parents?
- According to research, 89% of teens believe in angels. The author of Hebrews teaches us much of what we know in the New Testament about angels (Hebrews 1:7,14). What observations can be made about angels from these verses?
- This verse (1:5) is using two statements from the Old Testament (OT) to prove something about Jesus. The OT is the way “God spoke” (1:1) and “God said” (1:5). What can we glean about the OT from how it is used in Hebrews?
- Jesus has a unique relationship to His father; He is described in this passage as “begotten” and as “firstborn.” What do these terms mean and what do they not mean? How do these terms describe Jesus as higher than angels?
Taking it Home: How do you answer the question “whose son is Jesus?” What big reasons lead toward you making extravagant acts of devotion to Jesus? How can Jesus be your anchor in the storms of life?
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he will meet you at the Welcome Center.
Please join us this weekend in honoring and encouraging our baptism participants; Viola Martinez-Kinzy and Aiden Reinoehl.
SEARCH TEAM RECOMMENDATION
During the weekend of January 14/15, we will have a candidate weekend, which will include opportunities to get to know our candidate for Director of Student Ministries, Kreg Kastelz, to pray for wisdom and direction and to allow for input from our church body. Thank you for your prayerful interest and participation in this process. You may forward questions directly to Ron Kilgore at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303.881.4348.
PASTOR JEFF’S BLOG
If you are interested in the process that led to our candidate selection for the Director of Student Ministries, check out Pastor Jeff’s latest blog online. You can ask questions or leave comments there, as well.
The current tenants will be moving out of the "Parsonage" rental property that is owned by Aspen Ridge in mid-January. This property is a
2300 sqft, 3BR/3BA, house with a 2-car garage. It will be available for rent in February. If you or someone you know might be interested in this opportunity, please contact Jeff Goodwin by phone at 303.679.1093 or email email@example.com.
LIVE IT OUT
Thanks to all who are contributing to Live It Out as we intentionally reach out to our community in practical and loving ways. To contribute, note “Live It Out” on or with your gift. Gifts (pledged and unpledged) received to date: $ 65,159
Remaining pledged amount: $ 60,407
As we prepare for our Candidate Weekend on January 14/15, please pray in the following ways:
- For our congregation to develop an overwhelming burden for student souls.
- For our parents to accept the mantle of responsibility to raise students in Christ.
- For our students to find their home in Christ while they are still among us.
- For our Student Ministries candidate, Kreg Kastelz, and his family.
Also, please note the following opportunities for group prayer on Sunday, January 8 from 10:00 - 10:45 AM in the Fellowship Hall, Saturday, January 14 from 8:20 - 9:00 AM (during Men’s Breakfast) and in your first small group meetings for 2017. Our leaders will also devote specific time to prayer in their upcoming meetings.
If you would like to get to know Kreg and Becky better, please feel free to pick up an information packet, available at the Welcome Center.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT DINNER
Please join us as we resume our regular Wednesday evening activities, beginning with our dinner at 5:30 PM. This week we are serving taco soup, salad and dessert for $2.50 per person or a maximum of $10 per family. AWANA and DV8 Middle School Ministry immediately follow at 6:30 PM. Welcome back!
UPCOMING WOMEN’S EVENT
On February 3-4, ladies of Evergreen will gather together at Bergen Park Church to attend “IF:Gathering 2017.” This event serves to equip and unleash the next generation of women to live out their purpose, while seeking God and worshiping together. The cost is $35, with meals provided. For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and register today at tinyurl.com/ifevergreenco. To ensure the women of Aspen Ridge will be seated together, please contact Michele Force once you are registered.