Human – Company: David & Adullam
1 Samuel 22:1-5
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: David forms a company of faith in the Cave of Adullam.
- It starts with a broken leader.
- It builds a climate of reconciliation.
- It draws together all kinds of people.
- It grows a community of faith.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Someone said “The neighborhood bar is possibly the best counterfeit there is to the fellowship Christ wants to give His church.” Discuss.
- Our world looks for leaders of accomplishment, personality and skill. However, God looks for leaders who have been broken. Review the ways David has been broken. Where have you been broken, and how may God want to use your brokenness for His purposes?
- David had a strained relationship with his brothers. However, his brothers joined him in the cave, and he arranged for the protection of his parents. He must have come full circle in these relationships, experiencing a degree of reconciliation. Discuss.
- How are the people who gather with David in the cave described(v. 2)? What does this say about the type of people God calls to Himself? How do these people compare to those of us who gather at Aspen Ridge Church?
- God builds a company of faith that becomes David’s mighty men of valor (1 Chronicles 12). They became the greatest army of their time and carried out Israel’s national boundaries to the fullest limits. What sorts of things may God choose to do through us?
Taking it Home: Pray for the witness of Aspen Ridge Church toward our community. Seek to fold an additional couple(s) into your small group in the coming weeks.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he will meet you at the Welcome Center.
VIEW FROM THE RIDGE ANNUAL MEETINGS
In an effort to provide opportunities for as many as possible, we will have a time after each service during the weekend of September 17/18 for our annual View from the Ridge. These gatherings allow us to propose and vote on the budget for the new fiscal year (beginning September 1), hear reports from ministry leaders from the past year and envision the year ahead together, as God leads. If you are a member or a regular attender, we strongly encourage you to attend one of the following meetings:
- Saturday, September 17 at 7:15 PM
- Sunday, September 18 at 10:15 AM
- Sunday, September 18 at 12:00 PM (with potluck lunch)
If you are planning to attend the Sunday potluck lunch, please bring a main dish and/or a salad/side/dessert to share. Paper goods and drinks will be provided.
Below is a summary of the budget the Elders will propose for the2016-17 fiscal year. We will present this at View from the Ridge. A copy of the detailed budget is available in the church office.
General423,300 Growth 57,000
Worship 22,600 Outreach 109,800
Service 7,800 Properties 135,000
Q&A TIME BETWEEN SERVICES
Beginning September 25, there will be a question and answer time from 10:20 – 10:35 AM, between Sunday services. In conjunction with Parenting Weekend, this first Q&A time will be hosted by our Children’s Ministry leaders, alongside Todd Ickes of Reclaim Ministries. Feel free to bring up any questions you may have, related to the weekend’s message.
MOTHERS OF PRESCHOOLERS (MOPS) IMMEDIATE NEED!
MOPS is hiring teachers to help with their childcare program, the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month from 8:45 AM to 11:45 AM, and will pay $10 an hour. If you, or anyone you know, are interested, please contact Meredith Zouski, Moppets Coordinator, at 650.248.5215.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT DINNER
This week will be our first Wednesday Dinner of the school year. Let’s make it a great one by inviting a neighbor! The menu includes roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and corn, salad and dessert for $2.50 per person or $10 per family. Cook teams are still looking for volunteers, as well. Contact Maria Stimens at 303.993.9358.
On Saturday, September 24, 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM, we’ll be opening up the back parking lot to local vendors, complete with family games, food sales to benefit our DV8 Student Ministries and a whole lot of fun! Begin praying about a neighbor that you might invite!
Parents, we know it’s tough raising kids in today’s culture. We want to help. During the weekend of September 24/25, we’ll be focusing on parenting topics in our regular services. We’ll also have some mini-sessions at RidgeFest, designed to help parents with kids - from toddlers to teens. There are also plans in the works for a parenting-focused small group. Contact Maryjean Fowler or Debbie Stewart for more information.
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY SERVICE OPPORTUNITY
Are you searching for a fun and rewarding way to “Live it Out?” Children’s Ministry is in need of volunteers to serve in the nursery and the KidZone on Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings. You can hold a baby or teach a simple Bible lesson that is provided for you! Please contact Maryjean Fowler at the email address listed below.
PRECEPTS BIBLE STUDY
Precepts begins on September 24 at 8:30 AM. Titus, a three-week study, will be followed by a ten-week study of the book of Ezekiel. Please contact Dottie Manchette at 303.697.9141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.