Lend Me Your Hope – Hope Beyond Misery
1 Peter 5:12-14
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Peter exhorts readers to stand firm in the true grace of God.
- The true grace of God & Silvanus
- The true grace of God by declaration
- The true grace of God in Babylon
- The true grace of God with John Mark
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Peter’s purpose had to do with encouraging his readers in the true grace of God. His statement suggests that there are misguided ideas about grace. What are some of these?
- There is a false notion of God’s grace that says one must do the Christian life alone. How does Silvanus (Silas) illustrate the importance of partnership in the Christian way?
- The false grace of God says you earn or deserve God’s favor. Hence, if you are facing hardship or loss, you might think God has withdrawn his favor. How does Peter encourage believers in the middle of persecution?
- There is a false notion of God’s grace that says our failures are final. How does John Mark illustrate that, because of God’s grace, our failures are not final?
Taking It Home: Write down Titus 2:11-12 on a 3x5 card and tape it to your bathroom mirror. In a prayerful moment, read this verse out loud first thing each day this week. In your small group, prepare to talk about how you are growing in God’s grace.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife Mary, will meet you at the Welcome Center.
A TRANSITION FOR HUNTER & LAUREN HEADLEY
Hunter and Lauren have received and accepted the call of God to another church ministry. We are happy for God’s blessing in their lives, but will experience great loss alongside this transition. We would like to thank them for their faithful service here and send them with our blessings. This weekend, there will be a prayerful dedication in our services and a cake reception following each service to show our love and appreciation for Hunter and Lauren. Check out Pastor Jeff’s blog online to read more about the student ministry transition for the summer and beyond.
TOWN HALL EXCHANGE: PLEASE SHARE YOUR QUESTIONS
As we move forward with our vision to Live It Out, some in our congregation have asked for clarification of our specific objectives and financial planning. We will have three available Town Hall Exchanges to address your questions.
- Submit Your Questions by Wednesday, June 15: Please go online to AspenRidgeChurch.org/townhall to submit your questions.
- Elder Response on June 25/26: After Saturday evening service (7:00 PM), between our two Sunday morning services (10:00 AM) and after the second Sunday morning service (11:45 AM), Elders will respond to questions received. Due to a limited time of 30 minutes for the meeting at 10:00 AM on Sunday, we may only be able to address questions submitted in advance. If you are not able to submit in advance, please plan to attend one of the other two meetings.
Much like our past Town Hall Meetings, the goal of this Town Hall Exchange is to provide a forum for communication. This approach allows us to host these meetings at a convenient time for many. Our vision and financial goals for Live It Out are available on our website and in booklets available at the Welcome Center.
Sponsor-a-student is in full swing! Please stop at our table in the entryway to pick up a packet to bless a student.
RETRO ROCK: VBS 2016
June 20-24, we’re taking it back to God’s Word with “Retro Rock,” featuring the music of Go Fish. Sign your kids up (ages 2 – 5th grade) online, before the classes fill up. It’s almost time to rock!
CONVERGE 2016: REACH
Aspen Ridge Church would like to send some delegates to this year’s Converge 2016 conference with author and speaker, Francis Chan. Get a fresh take on evangelism and learn about new missions opportunities in your neighborhood and around the world. The conference will be held June 29 - July 1 at Mission Hills Church in Littleton. Please contact Barb Achenbach if you are interested.
BABY BOTTLES ARE DUE BACK ON FATHER’S DAY!
Mountain Area Pregnancy Center will continue to collect baby bottles through Father’s Day. Pick up a bottle from the lobby, fill it with change and return it to church on June 19. Make a difference!
CONVERGE ROCKY MOUNTAIN – LEADERSHIP DEEP DIVE
“A Christian Response to Homosexuality,” will be held at Mountain View Bible Fellowship in Estes Park on June 24, 7:00 – 9:00 PM, and June 25, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Pre-register at email@example.com. There is no fee, but registration is needed for materials.
OUTREACH WEEKEND EMPHASIS
Please join us on June 18/19 to hear our missionaries, John Mehn and his wife Elaine, at our services. Join us at a BBQ at 4:45 PM on Saturday, June 18, before the evening service to meet the Mehn’s. There will also be a meet and greet on Sunday, June 19, between the morning services. John serves with Converge in Japan and information on his ministry can be found at Gospelrest.com.
Also, Scott Millar, a Converge missionary starting a Hispanic church plant in Toronto, Canada, will be here on Thursday, June 23 at 6:30 PM, to talk to small groups and any others interested!