Live It Out – Called to Serve
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: God calls us to live out our faith by serving in our particular context.
- God and Jonah
- God calls Jonah
- Jonah Responds
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Think of an occasion(s) in your life when you felt especially close to…or distant from…God. Describe the circumstances.
- What do we know about Jonah and how this book is unique?
- Jonah’s calling (1:2) reminds us of the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19) and also a particular calling toward our community: “As the people of Aspen Ridge Church, we desire that every person in our community will personally experience God’s love in a practical way through us. Every child, student and adult in our church family will be involved in one or more healthy small groups that ‘learn, love, and do’ together.” Discuss.
- God’s calling is not always easy or convenient. Review the challenges Jonah would face toward Nineveh. What challenges or obstacles stand in the way of realizing our particular calling toward our mountain community?
- What can we learn to do (or not do) in light of Jonah’s response to God? In the coming month, how can we respond in service and in giving?
Taking it Home: In your mailbox this week, you may have received a postcard. Complete the challenge included on the card.
“This week, get enough $1 bills to give each member of your household $6 to $10. Or, you might get $20 for your family altogether-which may be easier if you have young children to include in this activity. The assignment is to spend half on yourself (or your family) and half on a gift or kindness for someone else. Perhaps a cup of coffee or a small toy. Afterwards, talk about your experience. How did you feel about what you did for yourself compared to what you did for someone else?”
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife, Mary, will meet you at the Welcome Center.
LIVE IT OUT: CALLED TO SERVE
Because we’re called to serve, we’re putting our vision into action and investing in the way we live it out. Our special giving initiative will equip us for ministry development and facility improvements that support our vision. Watch your mailbox for more information, and learn more under the Serve & Give menu at AspenRidgeChurch.org.
A GIFT FOR YOU: THE TREASURE PRINCIPLE
fter worship services this weekend, we have a gift for every
household to take home: a little book called The Treasure Principle. It’s about the secrets of joyful giving to bless others. We hope you find it inspiring.
LIVE IT OUT PRAYER SUPPORT
Between our Sunday morning services, there is a fifteen minute window that will allow us to support our April series with prayer. Join us in the Celebration Center at 10:20 AM to unite in asking God’s blessing and direction in the coming weeks. Let’s continue to live it out together!
We are accepting nominations through May 8, for candidates to be considered to join the Elder Board. In addition to the qualifications set forth in 1 Timothy 3, we are looking for an Aspen Ridge member in good standing, with demonstrated leadership and service. Forms are available in the church office. Contact an elder with any questions you may have. CARRAY
CARRAY CELEBRATION OF LIFE SERVICE
Please pray for the Carray family in the passing of Larry on Tuesday, March 8. There will be a Celebration of Life service at Aspen Ridge Church on Monday, April 4 at 11:00 AM, with a dinner following. Our church body may assist by providing salads, sides and desserts as a ministry to this family. Please contact Kathy Taraba at email@example.com or 720.635.9995.
DV8 STUDENT MINISTRIES
Please join us after services on Sunday in the Student Center. The girls will stay and study the topic: “We do not walk alone,” and lunch will be provided. The guys will study chapter two of In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, and they will need to bring money for lunch. Please continue to check the DV8 calendar on the Aspen Ridge website to stay up-to-date on student ministry happenings and to get information on the summer missions trip and camps. Sign up by April 10 for the summer events.
LIVE IT OUT IN A SMALL GROUP
Stop by the table in the lobby or check out our current offerings online to get involved in a small group. If you’re new to our body, consider The Bridge, our introductory small group!
A SERVICE OPPORTUNITY
We are organizing a schedule for the Sunday greeters for the summer months, and are in need of some smiling faces! This is one way to meet neighbors and help them connect within the church. Please contact the church office if you are interested in serving this way.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MENU
Please join us for dinner on Wednesday evening at 5:30 PM. We will be serving sloppy joes, salad and dessert for $2.50 per person or $10 per family.
Scott & Ruth Millar
Converge Worldwide (Toronto, Canada)
- For the arrival of Obed and Norma Valenzuela, church planters from Mexico.
- For continued friendship with Malia, the single mom that lives in our building and for Vicente (struggling with drug addiction) and his son Elias.
- For healing in four marriages and for two new families attending our midweek home group.