The Height of Faith – Jesus Christ Higher than the Prophets
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: God has spoken definitively in His Son.
- The Son is God’s ____________.
- The Son ____________ the world.
- The Son ____________ God’s glory.
- The Son ____________ the universe.
- The Son made ____________ for sins.
- The Son ____________ at God’s right hand.
- The Son is ____________ than the angels.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Place yourself in the position of an outsider to Christianity. Describe a generic spirituality that simply believes in a higher power. What are the necessary consequences of this
approach? How is the Christian message distinct?
- How did God speak through the prophets (1:1), and how does this compare or contrast with how God has spoken to us in His Son (1:2)?
- The author calls attention to seven ways that describe how God has spoken in His Son. These include Inheritor, Creator, Sustainer, Radiator, Representor, Purifier and Ruler. How many of these seven can you identify in the text? What do they mean?
- It has been said that Christian preaching is the sort that will get one thrown out of a Jewish synagogue or Islamic mosque. How does this passage distinguish Christianity from Judaism or Islam?
Taking it Home: The people of God have multiple needs (itemize and discuss); however, our most foundational and important need relates to Jesus. Identify where you need Jesus. Pray for your neighbors to encounter Jesus, care for your neighbors in the name of Jesus and
share with your neighbors about the love of Jesus.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he will meet you at the Welcome Center.
HEBREWS: THE HEIGHT OF FAITH
We introduce a new series for 2017 entitled, “The Height of Faith.” This series on the book of Hebrews will describe how Jesus is higher than the prophets, higher than the angels, higher than Moses, higher than Aaron and will describe our need to press on in the Christian way. We invite you to join us for this exciting series and invite a friend!
SEARCH TEAM RECOMMENDATION
During the weekend of January 14/15, we will have a candidate weekend, which will include opportunities to get to know our candidate for Director of Student Ministries, Kreg Kastelz, to pray for wisdom and direction and to allow for input from our church body. Following the
candidate weekend, the elder board will decide on this recommendation. Thank you for your prayerful interest and participation in this process. You may forward questions directly to Ron Kilgore at email@example.com or 303.881.4348. Check out our Facebook page if you missed last weekend’s video update!
As you think about your year-end giving, would you consider a special gift to Aspen Ridge Church for ongoing operational costs or to our Live It Out Initiative? Visit our website to give online. Please make note that all financial contributions must be postmarked no later than Saturday, December 31, 2016, or received in the church office by that same date in order to be credited in 2016 for income tax purposes. If you are joining us on January 1, would you consider starting the new year with a renewed commitment to support this ministry in 2017?
LIVE IT OUT
Thanks to all who are contributing to Live It Out as we intentionally reach out to our community in practical and loving ways. To contribute, note “Live It Out” on or with your gift.
Gifts (pledged and unpledged) received to date: $ 64,709
Remaining pledged amount: $ 60,857
As we prepare for our Candidate Weekend on January 14/15, please pray in the following ways:
- For our congregation to develop an overwhelming burden for student souls.
- For our parents to accept the mantel of responsibility to raise students in Christ.
- For our students to find their home in Christ while they are still among us.
- For our Student Ministries candidate, Kreg Kastelz, and his family.
Also, please note the following opportunities for group prayer on Sunday, January 7 from 10:00 - 10:45 AM in the Fellowship Hall, Saturday, January 14 from 8:20 - 9:00 AM (during Men’s Breakfast) and in your first small group meetings for 2017. Our leaders will also devote specific time for prayer in their upcoming meetings.
DV8 NEW YEAR’S EVE
DV8 high schoolers will be meeting in the Student Center after the Saturday evening worship service on Saturday, December 31, for a New Year’s Eve celebration from 7:30 – 10:30 PM.
UPCOMING BAPTISM WEEKEND
Our next Baptism Weekend is scheduled for January 7/8. If you are interested in participating, please contact the church office to sign up for an orientation meeting with Pastor Jeff. These meetings are offered for your convenience on December 31 at 5:00 PM or January 3 at 3:00 PM, and you only need to attend one of them.
Our regularly scheduled activities will be suspended during the winter break. We will be resuming Wednesday Dinners on January 11 at 5:30 PM, along with AWANA and DV8 Middle School at 6:30 PM. DV8 High School resumes on January 12.
The current tenants will be moving out of the "Parsonage" rental property that is owned by Aspen Ridge in mid-January. This property is a 2300 sqft, 3BR/3BA, house with a 2-car garage. It will be available for rent in February. If you or someone you know might be interested in this
opportunity, please contact Jeff Goodwin by phone at 303.679.1093 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.