Lend Me Your Hope – Hope Beyond Rejection
1 Peter 2:4-12
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Believers approach God in light of our identity in Christ.
- We are living stones in a spiritual house.
- We are priests in God’s temple.We are a chosen race.
- We are a holy nation.
- We are a people who received mercy.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
- God is building a spiritual house with Jesus Christ as the foundation stone. Believers are described as living stones making up this spiritual house. In light of this amazing reality, why do so many professing believers manifest such apathy toward the church of Jesus Christ?
- We are described as priests making acceptable sacrifices to God. What are the sacrifices you make to God? Which sacrifices bring a special measure of joy and satisfaction in your relationship with God? How do you make sacrifices on behalf of others?
- Our identity as a “chosen nation” is an important theme in this letter. On what basis did God choose Israel (Deuteronomy 7:6-8)? What does this say about God and us? How does this promote a unique blend of confidence and humility in your life?
- We are meant to proclaim God’s excellencies to our neighbors and world. When was the last time you told your faith story? Who can you invite to our upcoming “War Room” movie night on February 5?
Taking it Home: Included in worship folders this week is an insert entitled “Identity in Christ.” Read this out loud in your small group meeting and every day in your home this week. Note what difference this makes in your relationship with God and others.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife, Mary will meet you at the Welcome Center.
Aspen Ridge will have a “Baptism Weekend” on February 27-28. If you have made a faith commitment to Jesus Christ and would like to explore participating in this ordinance, please be in touch with the pastoral staff.
A WORD OF COMMENDATION
Since the adding of a new Sunday AM service in January, our average weekly attendance has increased by some 10%. This means about 40 additional people are connecting on the weekends, and we are progressing toward “inviting neighbors to find a home in Christ.” Thank you for the ways you are serving and adjusting to extend hospitality to neighbors and guests.
SERVICES AND SERVING
Along with our new service times, we are encouraging our people to worship in one hour and serve in another. If you are interested in plugging into ministry within our body, please drop a Communication Card into the offering bag, and we’d be happy to help direct you in an area where your giftings and desires align with needs.
As we continue to pursue growth and community within small groups, and with the new service times, we will be concluding our meetings of The Gathering, as of January 31. We encourage you to check out some of the groups that are meeting in the building during this time, or visit our website for a complete listing of available small groups. Thank you to Andy Betsch for all of the great topics and speakers over the course of these gatherings!
Our church library is a great place to visit! This month, we are featuring the book by Chuck Swindoll – “Hope Again” as it relates to our current sermon series. You will find it on our presentation shelf right inside the door. Check it out if you are interested!
WAR ROOM MOVIE NIGHT
All men and women are invited to join us on Friday evening, February 5, for a free showing of the movie, “War Room.” Doors open at 6:30 PM. Childcare will be provided for 5th grade and under, and donations will be accepted for this service. Refreshments will also be available for purchase and proceeds will benefit our DV8 Student Ministries. Why go down the hill for an expensive movie, when you can have a date night, on us?
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MENU
Our menu this week features a meal complete with lasagna, salad and dessert for $2.50 per person or $10 per family. Grab a neighbor and join us for dinner!
NOT ENOUGH COOKS IN THE KITCHEN!
Do you excel at meal planning or have a flair for food? Do you want to get involved in a thriving ministry that serves over a hundred people each week? We’re looking for a few more energetic people to join the Wednesday Night Dinner Cook Teams! Please call or text Maria Stimens at 407.844.6168 to discuss this opportunity.
STIRRING THE POTS…
We are also looking for new Men's Breakfast cooks! Men’s Breakfast occurs the second Saturday morning of every month, and you would be scheduled one or two times during the year. This is a great time of fellowship and study, and the food adds a special touch! Please talk to Mike Kelly or Pastor Jeff for more information.
WELCOME CENTER TABLETS
You may have noticed a couple of new tablets attached to the Welcome Center in the lobby. These are intended to serve you in finding out further information about Aspen Ridge, signing up for or researching small groups, donating online and are also available for limited navigating of the web, if you so desire. Feel free to take advantage of these resources, and let us know if you need assistance finding information on them.