Where We Stand – The Word of God
2 Timothy 3:14-16
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: The Bible is breathed out by God and without error in the original manuscripts.
- Clear the Ground
- Define Terms
- Make Application
We believe that the Bible is the Word of God, fully inspired and without error in the original manuscripts, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and that it has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Most people in our culture have some knowledge about the existence of the Bible. What kind of feelings did you have as you grew up toward or about the Bible? How have those feelings influenced your relationship with God’s Word?
- This message addresses skepticism toward the Bible. The Bible’s role in the life of faith may be analogous to a spouse with whom you may disagree. Without such disagreement, a relationship with God does not really exist. Discuss.
- Inspiration refers to a process which has resulted in our Bibles being the very word(s) of God. Review 2 Timothy 3:16 and note the source of the Scriptures. In light of this, how is the Bible to be used?
- What kind of trust does Jesus place in the Scriptures (John 17:17; John 10:35)? What is inerrancy, and why can we trust the Bible? Describe your confidence level in the Bible.
- Despite trends to the contrary, we believe the Bible alone is sufficient to make someone wise for salvation (2 Timothy 3:15). How do you read the Bible and listen to what it says?
Taking It Home: Review our confession of faith on the subject of God’s Word. How is your view of Scripture evident in your life?
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife, Mary, will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY LUNCHEON
We would like to invite you to our Children’s Ministry Luncheon immediately following our Sunday morning service next weekend, January 18 at 12:00 PM in the Student Center. Childcare will be provided. This is an opportunity to support our current teachers and to learn more about this ministry and how you can participate!
WHERE WE STAND - CONFESSIONS OF FAITH
Aspen Ridge Church has affirmative statements about what we believe. These help us articulate which issues are central to our faith… and which issues are secondary in importance. This 2015 series will provide an occasion to promote Christian doctrine and Biblical theology. It will also give us an occasion to reinforce our commitment to our movement…Converge Worldwide and its statement of faith. There are inserts in the media stands called “Where We Stand” that relate to this series and will act as an aid to study. Please feel free to take one.
Are you interested in learning more about who we are as a church and how you may fit into the mission and vision of serving our community? The Bridge, a six-week introductory class to Aspen Ridge Church and finding your role within the body, is beginning again this weekend. This group meets Sundays at 9:00 AM in the Fireside Room, downstairs. Please contact the church office for more information.
NEW SMALL GROUP SESSION
If you are not part of a small group, we have a new session that has just begun and would love to help you plug into a group. Please contact the church office for a listing of the groups available. THE GATHERING Joe Fowler (a cyber agent investigating hackers) will be leading The Gathering in January at 9:00 AM in the Fellowship Hall. We will take a look at how we can protect our children and elderly parents from scams and Internet attacks.
SAVE THE DATE FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL (VBS)
Our dates for VBS in the summer of 2015 will be June 8-12. Our theme is “Jump In,” a high energy, praise-loaded, custom curriculum featuring Go Fish. Please mark your calendars and begin to pray for this exciting community outreach event!
DV8 PARENT MEETINGS: SUMMER RETREATS
DV8 parents, there will be a series of meeting times available after Wednesday and Thursday evenings for the next two weeks. Parents of students who are attending either the middle school retreat or the high school Christ In Youth trip this summer must attend one of these upcoming meetings for deadlines and information. A $50 deposit for either of these events is due by January 29 and can also be paid at that time. Also, please watch for details about our next DV8 Date Night on January 30. This is a fundraiser directly related to our retreats.
DV8 MOVIE NIGHT
There will be a movie night after the Saturday night service on January 24, complete with popcorn and soda. This event is for both middle and high schoolers, and would be an excellent time to invite friends. Put it on your calendar now!
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MENU
This week we will have meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans and corn with salad and dessert. We would love to meet you there.
Scott and Ruth Millar Hispanic Church Planting, Ontario
- Thank God for Gonzalo, the real estate agent that will introduce the Millar's to his Hispanic network of friends in the city, and for the four families that are willing to help plant a church in Brampton.
- The goal is to plant twenty churches by 2020 in the Toronto area. The strategy of the new plants is to focus first on the Latinos and also offer services in English to the broader immigrant population.