Where We Stand – Jesus Christ
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: How do we know Jesus Christ is the Holy One of God?
- Because it explains His rejection and eventual death.
- Because it is the affirmation of Peter and the twelve.
- Because Jesus received and validated such confession.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Recall when you were first introduced to Jesus Christ. What were your first impressions? How have those impressions changed as you have continued in your spiritual pilgrimage?
- It appears that Jesus’ “hard sayings” resulted in a number of His followers walking away (6:60). One of these had to do with eating His flesh and drinking His blood (6:53-54). Another had to do with Jesus descending and ascending as the Son of Man (6:62). Discuss.
- Modern scholarship wants to see Jesus in a number of different ways, including as a “wise sage,” a “religious genius,” and a “social revolutionary.” On what basis do these descriptions fall short?
- In this passage, Peter speaks for the twelve in saying “we have believed… we have come to know.” Notice that faith precedes knowledge in this statement. In what way does someone need to have faith BEFORE they can have a personal knowledge of Jesus Christ?
- Jesus is the Holy One of God. What is involved in the historic Christian affirmation that Jesus is the Holy One of God? Discuss and review our Aspen Ridge Church confession of faith to this end.
Taking It Home: CS Lewis once wrote: “…You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse.” What is your choice? How can you influence neighbors toward making a choice?
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife, Mary will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
A MESSAGE FROM PASTOR JEFF
Mary and I were so pleased to attend the network gatherings for our movement Converge Worldwide this past week in California. We gathered with other ministry leaders who had affinity with our circumstances, learning about "best practices" in pastoral ministry. We included a few days of rest and recreation, and then attended a building dedication for our previous church. Special thanks to Dr. Dave Mathewson for bringing last week's message on God the Father!
WHERE WE STAND
We are continuing our Winter Series this weekend as we delve into what we believe, as a church, about Jesus. There are still Statement of Faith cards in the media stands, if you have not yet received one. Feel free to take one of these and pray through the changes with your family, as we will be voting to update the statement at the conclusion of the series in March. If you have any questions about our Statement of Faith, small groups are very beneficial as we look at the articles each week. You may also submit questions through our website.
The Gathering in February will take a look at the attributes of God. Have you ever tried to understand who God is, and what He is like? John Powell will lead us through a thoughtful and inspirational look at some of the many attributes of God.
FREEZER MEAL PREP
The next freezer prep will be Tuesday, March 3. The cost is $12 per meal and advance payment is required to reserve your spot. There is a maximum of 2 of each menu item (20 meals). The menu selections and further information are available on the church website. Space is limited, and payment and order must be received by Monday, February 16. Please contact Michelle Schroeder at email@example.com for questions or to reserve a spot with your menu selections.
SAVE THE DATE FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL (VBS)
Our dates for VBS in the summer of 2015 will be June 8-12. Our theme is “Jump In,” a high-energy, praise-loaded, custom curriculum featuring Go Fish. Please mark your calendars and begin to pray for this exciting community outreach event!
DV8 STUDENTS APPRECIATE YOU!
Thank you to Mike Fuester for his hard work and beautiful craftsmanship on the new student coffee bar! With a new aspect to make the Student Center even more comfortable, we have more students than ever before coming to learn about Jesus. Thanks also to those who have donated items that make the space appealing to teenagers and to the church body for your willingness to let us make our new space attractive to students in our community!
BASKETBALL PICK-UP GAMES
We are meeting at 2:00 PM this Sunday, February 1, for a time of fun and fellowship on the basketball court in the Celebration Center. Please join us!
PRECEPTS BIBLE STUDY
Precepts, a Saturday morning study group, will start a 12-week study of 1 Peter, “How to Stand Firm When Tested,” on February 7. The cost is $27 per workbook. Please call Dottie Manchette at 303.637.9141 to register.