Where We Stand – God the Father
Dr. Dave Mathewson
Big Idea: God is the sovereign creator of all there is and so is worthy of our exclusive worship.
- God is sovereign over the entire universe as its Creator.
- God is intimately involved in His creation.
- God’s people respond with worship.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
- What overall impression do you get from reading Revelation 4 as a whole? What parts of it stick out to you?
- Revelation primarily communicates in symbols and images. In considering these images, what other attributes or qualities of God do you find in this chapter?
- How do you explain the fact that God is absolutely sovereign over all things, yet He is still intimately involved in His creation and with His people? For example, how can God be “outside of” time, yet still work in and through time?
- How does a realization of God’s absolute sovereignty make a difference in the way you live your life?
- How does the fact that God is intimately involved in creation and in your life make a difference in the way you live your life?
We would like to welcome Dave Mathewson as our speaker this weekend. Dave serves our church family as an Elder and the community as a professor at Denver Seminary. If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Dave will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
WHERE WE STAND - CONFESSIONS OF FAITH
Aspen Ridge Church has affirmative statements about what we believe. These help us articulate which issues are central to our faith… and which issues are secondary in importance. This 2015 series will provide an occasion to promote Christian doctrine and Biblical theology. It will also give us an occasion to reinforce our commitment to our movement…Converge Worldwide and its statement of faith. There are inserts in the media stands called “Where We Stand” that relate to this series and will act as an aid to study. Please feel free to take one.
Are you interested in learning more about who we are as a church and how you may fit into the mission and vision of serving our community? The Bridge, a six-week introductory class to Aspen Ridge Church and finding your role within the body, has just begun. This group meets Sundays at 9:00 AM in the Fireside Room, downstairs. Please contact the church office for more information.
NEW SMALL GROUP SESSION
If you are not part of a small group, we have a new session that has just begun and would love to help you plug into a group. Please contact the church office for a listing of the groups available.
Joe Fowler (a cyber agent investigating hackers) will be leading The Gathering in January at 9:00 AM in the Fellowship Hall. We will take a look at how we can protect our children and elderly parents from scams and Internet attacks. The Gathering in February will take a look at the attributes of God. Have you ever tried to understand who God is, and what He is like? John Powell will lead us through a thoughtful and inspirational look at some of the many attributes of God.
SAVE THE DATE FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL (VBS)
Our dates for VBS in the summer of 2015 will be June 8-12. Our theme is “Jump In,” a high-energy, praise-loaded, custom curriculum featuring Go Fish. Please mark your calendars and begin to pray for this exciting community outreach event!
DV8 MOVIE NIGHT
There will be a movie night after the Saturday night service this weekend, complete with popcorn and soda. This event is for both middle and high schoolers. We’d love to see you there!
DV8 HOSTS DATE NIGHT
This event is a fundraiser for our DV8 students attending retreats and camps this year. If you are a parent who needs a night out, you can drop your kids off at church on Friday, January 30 from 5:00 – 9:00 PM.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MENU
We will be serving spaghetti, bread, salad and dessert and would love to make dinner for you! The cost is $2.50 per person or $10 per family.
PRECEPTS BIBLE STUDY
The Precepts Saturday morning study group will start a 12-week study of 1 Peter, “How to Stand Firm When Tested,” on February 7. The cost is $27 per workbook. Please call Dottie Manchette at 303.637.9141 to register.
Eric and Kara Coe
CRU, Student-Led Movements – Russia
- The whole Coe family will attend the CRU Eastern Europe/Russia staff Conference in Turkey.
- For our hearts to be encouraged and that we will return refreshed and envisioned for the calling that God has given us.
- For our kids, as they learn and build new relationships.