Words to Build a Life On-The Lord’s Model Prayer
Dr, Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: What does Jesus teach us about how to pray?
- Jesus teaches that prayer is to seek God’s glory.
- Jesus teaches that prayer is to invite God’s reign.
- Jesus teaches that prayer is to ask for God’s will.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: This portion of Scripture contains what is commonly called the Lord’s Prayer. In reality, this is a misnomer. The Lord’s Prayer may in actuality be found in John 17. Instead, this passage could be called the Disciple’s Prayer. React…
- The holiness of God is a prominent theme in the Bible. It is connected with the concept of fire (Hebrews 12:29). In what way is God’s holiness like fire?
- This is a prayer that God will make his name holy; however, when answered it means that we will make his name holy. Discuss what 1 Peter 1:13-16 says about how we may do such.
- The kingdom of God is another significant theme in the Bible. If the kingdom were altogether here, this prayer would not make sense. There must be a way that the kingdom is NOT altogether here, but is to be a future reality. What does it mean to pray “your kingdom come?” See 1 Corinthians 16:22; Revelation 22:20.
- This prayer seeks the will of God (whether known or unknown) and recognizes God’s prerogative to grant or withhold. It also means those who pray should be learning His will and ready to do it. Review Romans 6:12-13. Where is God challenging you to obey?
Taking It Home: Begin by memorizing the Disciple’s Prayer, then repeat and rehearse this prayer every night when you are going to bed. As you pray a certain phrase, linger on that concept and pray that it would become real in your life. Then look for an opportunity to call attention to this prayer in your normal conversations throughout the day.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
VIEW FROM THE RIDGE
Stay tuned for details, and mark your calendars for September 14. We will be celebrating the past year with lunch together, followed by important information on the upcoming year. Join your church family in this time of reflection and vision-casting, so that we may fulfill our mission to serve Christ in this community.
PARENT/CHILD DEDICATION WEEKEND - SEPTEMBER 20-21
As a church family, it is always an exciting time when we are able to stand behind parents as they commit to raising their children in Christ. If you are interested in being involved in our next Parent/Child Dedication Weekend, please contact Pastor Jeff or the church office by the end of August.
DON'T FLY SOLO!
The Christian life is meant to be lived in community. While God can do amazing things in the life of an individual, joys are multiplied and sorrows are halved as we share them with others. If you have not yet joined a small group, there will be another opportunity to do so in the coming weeks. Our small groups start back up on September 21, and we will have information available on open groups soon. Begin praying about and for your group!
Below is a summary of the budget the Elders will propose for the 2014-15 fiscal year. We will present this at our churchwide meeting, View from the Ridge, on September 14. A copy of the detailed budget is available in the church office.
General 372,114 Growth 56,984
Worship 21,764 Outreach 80,352
Service 11,190 Properties 157,760
THE GATHERING - SEPTEMBER
If God is in control of everything, does that mean we can sit back and not bother to evangelize? Or does active evangelism imply that God is not really sovereign at all? These are the questions that will become a springboard for our topic in September for the Gathering: "The Sovereignty of God in Evangelism." Bring your questions and a friend!
STUDENT MINISTRIES – EXCITING CHANGES COMING
In conjunction with the kick-off of a new school year, our Student Ministries has partnered with church leadership to set apart priority space for our students. In the coming months, the Chapel will be undergoing changes in both name and appearance, to provide a student-friendly area that encourages fellowship and Christian growth. We are excited to see how God will use our student center to allow us to mentor, disciple and spread the love of Christ.
HAY DAY 2014
On Saturday, September 13, we will be having a Hay Day! Join us as we support local vendors with some amazing things for sale, as well as a great family time of live music, games and crafts. You may even get to soak Hunter in a dunk tank! If you have a home business or would like to setup a vendor table, please register online at aspenridgechurch.org/hayday.
FREEZER MEAL PREP
Hello Ladies! The next freezer prep will be Tuesday, September 16. Meals will be set at $12.00 per meal and you will need to pay in advance to reserve your spot. There is a maximum of 2 of each menu item (20 meals). The menu selections are available on the church website. We will try to accommodate as many as we can, but space is limited. Payment and order must be received by Monday, September 1. Please contact Michelle Schroeder at email@example.com for questions or to reserve a spot with your menu selections. Checks can be made payable to Michelle Schroeder. You can leave the check and your list of selections in an envelope marked with Michelle’s name in the church office (please also e-mail food selections).
Steve and Ann Miller – New York City
- 22 interns will be trained for the next 10 months as missionaries.
- The Millers were able to spend time with family over the summer.
- For 86 European missionaries meeting in Budapest for Leadership Development.