Square One - Origins of Work
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: God gives human beings a mandate to work in the garden.
- Human beings are designed to work.
- Human beings are commanded to work.
- Human beings work to achieve good ends.
- Human beings work together cooperatively.
- Human beings work toward excellence.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Our speaker’s contention is that work has been de-valued in our culture. Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not? How have you seen perceptions toward work change in your generation?
- Human beings are designed to work. This is at least one way we are created in God’s image. Review the Genesis account as to how God has worked up to this point in Genesis 2:15. What new perspective does this shed on work? How do you perceive God working today, in our church family and in your life?
- God’s command to work had spiritual and material dimensions. However, church history shows us a tendency to separate “sacred” work from “secular” work. Where do we perpetuate this error? How can we correct this misperception? Work is meant to serve the common good. How can Christians serve the common good? How can Aspen Ridge Church serve the common good?
- Human beings are to work together cooperatively. Give some examples of some of the best work you have done with another person or as part of a team. How might we inadvertently begin working against each other?
Taking It Home: Identify your area(s) of work. How do the principles of this passage pour new vision and meaning into your work? Determine how your work serves the common good and brings glory to God.
If you are visiting today, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center,and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
CALLING ON ANGELS
Pastor Jeff would like to invite any and all, and especially those who have a heart for intercession, to pray for our corporate worship services. You are welcome to join us in the Celebration Center 20 minutes before each service.
Elder nominations for terms starting in September 2014 will be accepted during the month of March. Nomination forms are available in the church office or from any elder. Prayerfully consider nominating men who meet the Biblical and constitutional office of Elder, and return the nomination form to the church office by March 30.
SPRING VOCAL ENSEMBLE HAS BEGUN
Meet us in the chapel at 8:00 AM on Sundays (except March 9) as we prepare for our Good Friday and Easter services. If you are in high school or beyond and want to share God’s blessings through song, join us!
TOWN HALL MEETING
Our next Town Hall Meeting will be held on April 6 at 9:00 AM. This meeting will feature a report from our Outreach Ministry Team and discuss our “New Attitude” for the Spring.
The Gathering is open to all, meeting in Room 104 during the 9:00 AM hour. In March, The Gathering will revisit The Truth Project. This is a Focus on the Family 12-week series that looks at the Christian worldview, and provides impetus to living a full, God-honoring life.
BENEVOLENT FUND GIVING FOR MARCH
During the month of March, all gifts to the benevolent fund will be dedicated to the Converge Worldwide Benevolent Fund. This Fund is used to help pastors and missionaries in times of financial distress or need.
MARCH MINISTRY HIGHLIGHT: DV8 STUDENT MINISTRY
Coming from Romans 12:2, our student ministry’s goal is to deviate from the world and be transformed to the image of Christ. If you have a passion to see the future of the Church - our students - know Jesus deeper, and if you love games, laughter and discipleship, consider joining us on Wednesday or Thursday evenings in the chapel.
Looking for a date night with your spouse? A child-free evening with friends? Drop your kids off at Date Night on Friday, March 21. All proceeds support students in attending the Christ in Youth summer conference. Be sure to spread the word to your friends and neighbors!
More information is available on our website.
Whether you’re feeling “hollow” or excited to celebrate the “hollow” tomb, join us Easter weekend for an exciting series of events:
April 18 Good Friday service – 6:30 PM
April 19 Saturday service – 6:00 PM
April 20 Easter Breakfast – 8:00 AM
Sunday services – 9:00 & 10:30 AM
(Small groups may fold into 9:00 AM service.)
Maria Istoc-Paris France, Converge Worldwide
- for a staying visa in France which has been extended, as it was rejected three times.
- for the students in theology Maria is guiding and leading in their relationship with God.
- for these students to continue to work hard and be dedicated leaders in the churches in France, Belgium, Switzerland and in French speaking Africa.