Square One - Origins of Marriage
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: What is God’s design for marriage?
- Marriage is instituted by God.
- Marriage is to be monogamous.
- Marriage is a God-sealed bond.
- Marriage is given order in creation.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: According to a recent New York Times article, objective evidence corroborates anecdotal observations that the institution of marriage really is in decline in our culture. Given this information, discuss why you believe marriage is in such decline?
- The first woman was described (before she even existed) in the KJV as a “helpmate” for Adam. How has this description been misunderstood and misapplied to a wife’s place in a healthy marriage? What does “helpmate” really mean?
- Marriage is to exist between one man and one woman. The problem of polygamy is not especially notable in our culture today; however, 17 states have now re-defined marriage to include same sex unions. How ought the Christian church respond to this development?
- In the marriage institution, man is to leave father and mother and cleave to his wife. An impressive number of counselors believe many troubles in marriage may be traced to a failure in either of these areas. What does it mean to “leave” and to “cleave”?
- There is an order in creation between Adam and Eve. This order is NOT a reflection of inferiority or value. However, it is a statement of functionality and design, and it has application to how a man and a woman are to fulfill their respective roles in marriage. What do these roles look like?
Taking It Home: If you are not married, how can you encourage existing marriages and serve the welfare of the institution of marriage? If you are married, how can you make an investment in your relationship for God’s glory?
If you are visiting today, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
WOMEN OF FAITH BABY SHOWER
Join us in celebrating with Heather Riedel Nelson, (the daughter of Debbie Riedel) in the birth of Jeremy Richard on January 27, 2014. We will meet on March 30 in the chapel immediately following the service and lunch will be served. Contact Carole Whiteaker at 720.936.2003 for
more information or to RSVP.
Elder nominations for terms starting in September 2014 will be accepted during the month of March. Nomination forms are available in the church office or from any elder. Prayerfully consider nominating men who meet the Biblical and constitutional office of Elder, and return the nomination form to the church office by March 30.
SPRING VOCAL ENSEMBLE HAS BEGUN
Meet us in the chapel at 8:00 AM on Sundays as we prepare for our Good Friday and Easter services. If you are in high school or beyond and want to share God’s blessings through song, join us!
TOWN HALL MEETING
Our next Town Hall Meeting will be held on April 6 at 9:00 AM. This meeting will feature a report from our Outreach Ministry Team and discuss our “New Attitude” for the Spring.
The Gathering is open to all, meeting in Room 104 during the 9:00 AM hour. In March, The Gathering will revisit The Truth Project. This is a Focus on the Family 12-week series that looks at the Christian worldview, and provides impetus to living a full, God-honoring life.
BENEVOLENT FUND GIVING FOR MARCH
During the month of March, all gifts to the benevolent fund will be dedicated to the Converge Worldwide Benevolent Fund. This Fund is used to help pastors and missionaries in times of financial distress or need.
MARCH MINISTRY HIGHLIGHT: DV8 STUDENT MINISTRY
Our name comes from Romans 12:2, and our student ministry’s goal is to deviate from the world and be transformed to the image of Christ. If you have a passion to see the future of the Church - our students - know Jesus deeper, and if you love games, laughter and discipleship,
consider joining us on Wednesday or Thursday evenings in the chapel. For more information please contact our Director of Student Ministries, Hunter Headley.
Looking for a date night with your spouse? A child-free evening with friends? Drop your kids off at Date Night on Friday, March 21. All proceeds support students in attending the Christ in Youth summer conference. Be sure to spread the word to your friends and neighbors! More information is available on our website.
Whether you’re feeling “hollow” or excited to celebrate the “hollow” tomb, join us Easter weekend for an exciting series of events:
April 18 Good Friday service – 6:30 PM
April 19 Saturday service – 6:00 PM
April 20 Easter Breakfast – 8:00 AM
Sunday services – 9:00 & 10:30 AM
(Small groups may fold into 9:00 AM service.)
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL – SAVE THE DATE
June 9-13, 2014, kids will experience and be empowered by all of the unexpected and yes, weird ways that Jesus demonstrated unconditional love. From healing lepers to washing the feet of his disciples, the Bible is filled with accounts of Jesus’ one-of-a-kind love! Please begin to pray with us for this exciting event and mark your calendars to volunteer.