Square One - Origins of Human Beings
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Human life is distinct from animal life in that it is made in God’s image.
- Human life is created according to God’s plan.
- Human life is created by God’s pattern.
- Human life is created for God’s purpose.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Public education in past generations has almost exclusively embraced Darwin’s vision of evolution. What has your experience been with this secular model for origins?
- God says “let us create man in our image.” This has been interpreted in a number of ways. Whatever the case, there is some kind of deliberative community within God’s person. How is community a vital part of what it means to be made in God’s image? What applications do you see for relationships and for the church?
- Human beings are created in God’s image. As His representatives, all human beings have a measure of dignity and worth. However, it appears that our culture is increasingly de-valuing human life. Discuss how we ought to treat the sick, imprisoned, bereaved, poverty-stricken and defenseless human beings in light of our mutual identity as bearers of God’s image.
- Human beings are also created to subdue and to have dominion over the earth. This suggests that there is already something hostile to human beings in the world. It has been elsewhere argued that God creates human beings to overcome the kingdom of evil. On a practical level, how are human beings to fulfill the mandate of overcoming evil on earth?
Taking It Home: In light of Revelation 22:5, human beings are destined to rule a new earth for God. That means this life is a training ground in preparation for such a future. What difference does that type of perspective make in your life? How can you be faithful in your current circumstances toward that end?
If you are visiting today, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
CALLING ON ANGELS
Pastor Jeff would like to invite any and all, and especially those who have a heart for intercession, to pray for our corporate worship services. You are welcome to join us in the Celebration Center 20 minutes before each service.
SERMON-BASED SMALL GROUPS
Square One sermon-based small groups have begun. Signups continue and you can convey your interest on our Communication Card located in the bulletin.
Pastor Jeff has referred to the book, Creation and Blessing, by Alan Ross in our current sermon series – Square One. Copies of this book are available and can be checked out from the church library for one week. Commentaries, Bible dictionaries, encyclopedias and other Bible reference books are also available.
If you play basketball, we would like to invite you to come out on Sunday afternoons at 2:00 PM. We meet in the Celebration Center and would love to have you join us.
The Gathering is open to all, meeting in Room 104 during the 9:00 AM hour. Please join us as Norm Lewis takes a look at Covenants through February and first Sunday in March. God makes promises to those He claims as His own – but what does this really mean? What about when God gives us an unconditional promise?
Then in March, The Gathering will revisit The Truth Project. The Truth Project is a Focus on the Family 12 week series that looks at the Christian Worldview, and provides impetus to living a full, God honoring life. For more information on this fascinating series, please contact Andy
Betsch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calling all students! On Monday, February 10, Hunter will be providing pizza and fun for anyone who wants to hang out after school. He will be at the church and waiting for you!
Don’t miss our regular scheduled meetings this week. They are DV8 Middle School on Wednesdays from 6:00 – 8:00 PM and DV8 High School on Thursdays from 6:00 – 8:30 PM.
FREEZER MEAL PREP
Hello Ladies! The next freezer prep will be Tuesday, March 4. Meals will be set at $12.00 per meal and you will need to pay in advance to reserve your spot. There is a maximum of 2 of each menu item (20 meals). The menu selections are available on the church website. We will try to accommodate as many as we can, but space is limited. Payment and order must be received by Monday, February 17. Please contact Michelle Schroeder at email@example.com for questions or to reserve a spot with your menu selections. Checks can be made payable to Michelle Schroeder. You can leave the check and your list of selections in an envelope marked with Michelle’s name in the church office (please also e-mail food selections).
Lynn and Barb Conner, Family Counseling, Guadalajara
- for the women of Grace of God Church as they begin to study the book of Colossians.
- for preparation of a training session to begin a new Red de Amor group of pastor's wives. (Praise - this will be their 4 group in Guadalajara.)
- for their bible study attendants to have a hunger to know the Word of God.