Where We Stand – Confessions of Faith
1 Timothy 3:16
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: Why is a confession of faith meaningful to the Christian life?
- A confession of faith provides an introduction to Christian belief.
- A confession of faith contains a summary of biblical teaching.
- A confession of faith serves as a guide in the Christian life.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Have you ever been asked the question, “What do you believe?” If so, how did you respond? What tools or helps did you use to answer the question?
- Paul’s purpose in 1 Timothy is to instruct his protégé in how to behave in the household of God (v. 15). Application of this instruction may result in being used in a significant way toward inviting neighbors to find a home in Christ. Discuss.
- The church is a pillar and buttress of the truth (v. 15). It is distinct from the truth; however, it does act as a support for such truth. How does a healthy Christian church do this?
- In the early church a confession of faith referred to the testimony of martyrs as they were about to meet their deaths. When are times or occasions that you confess your faith? What is God’s promise when faith is joined with confession (Romans 10:9-10)?
- Mark Noll asserts that one value of a formal confession of faith is that it encourages clarity of belief and openness to discussion. Unwritten standards are susceptible to manipulation by power brokers or the vagaries of selective application. Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?
Taking It Home: Our worship folder contains our Aspen Ridge Church confession of faith insert. Why don’t you use this insert after dinner each day of the week to review each individual statement? Develop a list of questions about our statement that may be answered in the following ten weeks. Pray that God would establish and confirm your faith along with the rest of our church family.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife, Mary, will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
SMALL GROUP LEADER TRAINING
There will be a small group leader training after worship this Sunday, January 4. The meeting will be held in Fellowship Hall on the lower level. Those who are currently leading a small group and those who would like to lead a small group are encouraged to attend. Child care and lunch will be provided.
Joe Fowler (a cyber agent investigating hackers) will be leading The Gathering in January at 9:00 AM in the Fellowship Hall. We will take a look at how we can protect our children and elderly parents from scams and Internet attacks.
The playground is officially open! Feel free to allow your children to play on the equipment this weekend. We are still awaiting a gate installation, so just be aware that the area is not yet fully enclosed. Thank you to the men who gave of their time to make this happen. We are blessed!
BAPTISM AND DEDICATION WEEKENDS
We will be having our next baptism weekend on January 10-11. If you are interested in participating, there will be a required orientation meeting during the weekend prior, Saturday at 5:00 PM or Sunday at 9:00 AM. We will also have a parent/child dedication weekend on January 17-18. Please contact the church office to discuss this opportunity.
SAVE THE DATE FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL (VBS)
Our dates for VBS in the summer of 2015 will be June 8-12. Our theme is “Jump In,” a high energy, praise-loaded, custom curriculum featuring Go Fish. Please mark your calendars and begin to pray for this exciting community outreach event!
WHERE WE STAND - CONFESSIONS OF FAITH
Aspen Ridge Church has affirmative statements about what we believe. These help us articulate which issues are central to our faith… and which issues are secondary in importance. This 2015 series will provide an occasion to promote Christian doctrine and Biblical theology. It will also give us an occasion to reinforce our commitment to our movement…Converge Worldwide and its statement of faith. We will offer sermon-based small groups alongside this ten week series; sign up today!
Did you know that each weekend’s message can be found online? If you’ve misplaced your bulletin, that information is also available on our website. We also have a blog section with many thoughts from the pastoral staff, as well as current news and events. You can also submit questions or prayer requests online. If you haven’t visited us on the web lately, why not check it out!