Words to Build a Life On – Two Trees
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Beware of false teachers who seek to harm God’s work.
- They put on false appearances.
- They may be known by their fruits. You will recognize them by their teaching.
- You will recognize them by their conduct.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: This message has to do with false teachers seeking to harm God’s work. How do you choose which voice(s) you listen to… and which type of church you support?
- Appearances may indeed be deceiving. Like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, true and false teachers may share many things in common. Discuss (see also 2 Corinthians 2:13-15).
- Jesus affirms an indissoluble link between the health of a tree and its consequent fruit (see also James 3:12). From this teaching, what observations are safe to make when it comes to human lives?
- Christian teaching is to conform to Jesus’ message. How and when is Jesus’ message commonly distorted?
- John Stott said “If the church had heeded [Jesus’] warning and applied His tests, it would not be in the perilous state of theological and moral confusion in which it finds itself today.” Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?
Taking It Home: Every one of us needs to evaluate our own relationship with God. Generally speaking, an assurance of salvation comes from the promise of God’s Word, the inner testimony of His Spirit and the fruit of God’s presence in your lifestyle. Once you have done this inner work, how may one use these criteria in being discerning toward others?
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife, Mary, will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
We will meet on Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM in the Fellowship Hall with Dave Mathewson for October and November in an exciting survey of the New Testament. Then in December, it will feature Pastor Jeff in a fun, interesting and, at times, lighthearted look at the Christmas season.
5-YEAR STRATEGIC PLAN TEAM
This team has met and is excited to begin fulfilling its purpose of putting together a 5-year strategic plan to present to our church family in 7-8 months time. Jeff Clark, Dave Bruce, Justin Cates, Eric Krajewski, Raney Kilgore, Kyndall Nixon and Melissa Whaley covet your prayers as they seek to follow God’s direction in planning.
NEW IMPACT PLAYER
Impact Player is a small group approach to leadership development for men. Pastor Jeff will be leading a group in 2015, and will be hosting an informational meeting for those men who are interested on Sunday, November 23 at 8:00 AM in his office.
Exciting changes are happening for the children. We have ordered a new commercial playground suited for all kids through age 12! You may have noticed that our old playground has already been removed. The old structure was not safe for our growing children’s ministry. The new playground can serve up to 30 children playing at one time and has arrived. Volunteers are now needed to finish the project. If you are interested in helping to install the new playground, please contact Maryjean Fowler, Director of Children’s Ministry. Thanks for your support of this important upgrade!
DECEMBER FREEZER MEAL PREP
This month’s meal prep will be held at Aspen Ridge on Tuesday, December 2 at 9:00 AM. To reserve your spot, please contact Michelle Schroeder at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please visit the church website.
FULFILLING OUR MISSION
Our mission involves "inviting neighbors to find a home in Christ." However, we have a parking lot and children's ministry problem that is hampering our ability to fulfill our mission. We are prayerfully considering a proposed solution to the problem. Please tune in to Pastor Jeff's video at AspenRidgeChurch.org/video, and we welcome your comments and prayers.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MENU
Our menu this week includes homemade chicken pot pie, salad and dessert. The cost is only $2.50 per person.
DV8 STUDENT MINISTRIES – HIGH SCHOOL SAVE THE DATE!
CIY (Christ In Youth) dates for 2015 are June 22-26 for incoming freshman to graduating seniors. We are going to Durango and have reserved 26 spots. A $50 deposit will hold your place, and we are excited for this great experience.
BIRD IS THE WORD – THANKSGIVING COMMUNITY DINNER
We are excited to invite you to join us on Sunday, November 23 at
6:00 PM as we provide a free Thanksgiving meal to our community. There are many ways to help; we will need help with set-up, servers and food. Small groups can work together to provide food items, and we will have signup sheets in the lobby. How can you get involved?
Teen Lunch Club
Ben and Judy McComb, Evergreen, CO
- The Teen Lunch Club is celebrating 30 years of filling souls and bellies.
- Sixty five students entered the dining hall for the first session in the Fall of 2014.
- Teens continue to come each week to find Christian support for the struggles they go through.