Life on the Line - Acceptance on the Line
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: Will God accept any of us?
- No, he will not accept vain worship, v. 10.
- Yes, he will accept a pure offering, v. 11.
- No, he will not accept profane worship, v. 12-13.
- Yes, he will accept respectful worship, v. 14.
My Story: Our passage addresses the matter of acceptance. Maybe you can think of a time when you felt rejected… at work, at home or in your neighborhood. What do you remember about that experience? Can you begin to imagine what it would be like to be rejected by God?
- Eugene Peterson translates v. 10: “Why doesn’t one of you just shut the Temple doors and lock them? Then none of you can get in and play at religion with this silly, empty-headed worship.” Why is no religion at all better than silly, empty headed worship? What difference would it make if the doors of Aspen Ridge Church were locked?
- The prophecy about a pure offering is ultimately fulfilled in Jesus Christ (v. 11). What additional descriptions of this acceptable offering are found in this verse? How have these been fulfilled in the gospel? Pay special attention to John 4:21-4.
- The people God addresses say corporate worship is boring (v. 13). What problems come along with churches that attempt to entertain? What does the surrounding context tell us about how to stay away from boredom in the Christian life?
- God is going to make sure his name is feared among the nations (v. 14b). The question is whether or not you and I will be a part of that. Consider the words that Mordecai gave to Esther (Esther 4:14). Who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this? How can you bring honor, respect, worship and adoration to God?
Taking It Home: According to noted author and counselor Larry Crabb, people’s chief needs revolve around security and significance. Both of these needs are met when a person finds acceptance in a forever relationship with God. How does the Christian faith teach that a person is accepted by God? What kind of gifts can you give God in gratitude for your Christian faith?
If you are visiting today or if you are new to Aspen Ridge Church, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will welcome you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
A MESSAGE FROM PASTOR KERRY
We appreciate your patience as we continue work on upgrading the Celebration Center and chapel audio/video. By the end of October we will have greatly improved video in the Celebration Center, and will have an entire new audio AND video system in the chapel.
SATURDAY EVENING SERVICE TIME CHANGE
We will be moving the starting time of our worship service from 6:30 PM back to 6:00 PM beginning next Saturday, October 5. We encourage any who are interested to check out this service!
Our Fall celebration is next Saturday, October 5 from 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM, with all kinds of vendors, games, food and fun! There is no cost to attend, however there will be items for purchase, as well as pumpkins for a small fee. Bring the whole family and have a Hay Day with us!
MOPS BARN DANCE FUNDRAISER
Kick up your heels and enjoy dinner, dancing and bidding on a variety of auction items at this community event benefitting Aspen Ridge MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). Saturday, October 26 from 5:00 - 9:30 PM, at The Barn at Evergreen Memorial Park. Tickets are $10 each and are available in the church office (18 and older please). The timing is perfect so you can come to the Barn at 5:00 PM, attend the Saturday night service at 6:00 PM, and come back for more fun!
ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING PACKETS
If you were unable to attend our Annual Business Meeting last Sunday 9/22, we have the meeting handout available. These packets can be found in our information stands or in the church office.
FREEZER MEAL PREP IN OCTOBER
Michelle Schroeder will guide you through the preparation of “Freezer Meals” on Tuesday, October 15 in the upstairs kitchen from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Toddler and nursery care provided. We have now included a smaller portion option and one for people who cannot attend. Please see our website for meal selections and cost, your payment will secure your spot. Contact Michelle at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT SUPPER AND AWANA
Wednesday nights are Family Night at Aspen Ridge Church! We would love to see you every Wednesday at 5:30 PM for supper, followed by AWANA for children 5th grade and younger, 6:30 – 8:00 PM.
Middle & High School, please plan to attend a Turkey Day Scavenger Hunt on November 2. Our tentative schedule is to meet at the church at 3:00 PM, returning by 8:00 PM. Please check our website for more details on these fun events.
Student Community Bible Study (6th - 12th grades) has begun on Sunday evenings, 6:00 – 8:00 PM, with dinner included. We are studying the book of Genesis. Please contact Ronna Adams at 303-679-0150 for information.
Gary and Pam Sheveland, Mexico Medical Missions, Cabo San Lucas
- for pastors in Cabo San Lucas that are beginning to do ministry together
- for the community of San Jose del Cabo that they will be united and minister as one
- for God’s wisdom in bringing the pastors and lay leaders He wants to attend the Leadership Training School, and that they will be encouraged, loved and taught.