Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: How am I going to live in this community of faith?
- With an attitude of propriety, v. 1
- With an attitude of preciousness, v. 2
- With an attitude of promotion, v. 3
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: The message this weekend has to do with living in a company of faith. We heard the story of a prominent church leader’s daughter running away. In the same way that there are no perfect families, so there are no perfect churches. Or if there are, everything changes when you or I show up! Respond.
1) The problem of brothers and sisters fighting is as old as the Bible (see Gen. 4:1-16). On one level, we should expect this, as a consequence of sin in the world. On another level, there are ways to promote and guard unity among brothers and sisters (Ps 133:1). What are these?
2) Aaron was anointed as High Priest of Israel (see Exodus 29:7, 9). In the New Testament and because of Jesus Christ, all believers have been anointed in a priestly role toward God (1 John 2:26-7). How can we treat fellow believers as precious people, in whom the Spirit lives?
3) Unity in the family of God is a value to be promoted. In Psalm 133, this is done by being properly related to the head, respecting God-given leadership, and developing a vision for mutual discipline. Which particular points of “Unity in the Spirit” do we (or you) need to hear?
Taking It Home: Unfortunately, many local churches are not marked by unity. Jesus prayed for (John 17:11) and worked for (John 17:12) unity among his followers. Unity is how the world will know that Jesus is alive today. How can you pray and work for unity in your company of faith?
If you are visiting today or if you are new to Aspen Ridge Church, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will welcome you at the tables in the lobby.
STRONGER: A WEEKEND MARRIAGE CONFERENCE
Next weekend is the marriage conference. If you have not registered, please be sure to do so online as soon as possible. We do not want you to miss out on this amazing event!
SMALL GROUP SIGNUP FOR FALL
Please visit the table in the lobby this week for a list of available small groups for Fall and any other information needed. This is a great opportunity to meet fellow believers and study God’s word together.
Our next Child Dedication ceremony will be held on the weekend of September 21 and 22. We would like to know if you are interested and give time to plan and prayerfully commit to this special dedication. Please contact the church office as soon as possible to participate.
THE LANDSCAPE TEAM
The Landscape Team is looking for a few more people to help facilitate as we start new projects. This would include a temporary committee to revamp the preschool playground. Please contact Jeff Goodwin at 303.679.1093 if interested.
FALL START DATES
Community Bible Study (CBS) will begin on September 4 from 12:30 – 2:30 PM, studying the Gospel of John. Please contact Marilyn Betsch at 303.489.6711 with questions or to register.
Wednesday Night Supper and AWANA begins on September 4 from 5:30 PM – 8:00 PM.
Student Community Bible Study - Students, 6th – 12th grade, please join us starting September 8 for dinner at 6:00 PM, and Bible study until 8:00 PM at Aspen Ridge Church. We will be studying Genesis. For more information and to register call Adrian Farr at 936.232.4603 or Ronna Adams at 303.614.1405 or email them.
Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) will begin on September 10 from 9:00 – 11:30 AM. They meet on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month through May, 2014. MOPPETS is still looking for childcare workers, please contact Sommer Randol at 303.674.6890 for more information.
AUGUST MINISTRY HIGHLIGHT: WORSHIP ARTS
Worship Arts is more than just music. We have teams that support what happens "on stage" that are crucial to making our services a place where neighbors can find a home in Christ. Lighting, running video presentation software, sound, ushering and set-up/tear down crews are all places we are happy to train you. Contact Pastor Kerry or Chaz for information!
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES
• There will be a Children’s Ministry Luncheon immediately following the Sunday service on September 15. If you are a children’s teacher or a prospective children’s teacher, please plan to attend.
• Teachers are needed in your child’s classroom. Please see Maryjean Fowler to rotate in and bless your child’s day!
Living Proof Life Simulcast with Beth Moore, Saturday September 14 from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM at Platte Canyon Community Church in Bailey, cost is $20.00. Please contact Debbie Riedel at 303.674.6092 for more information.
URGENT MINISTRY OPPORTUNITY
Anyone interested in helping with food on September 7 during the Marriage Conference contact Stephanie Seevers at 303.674.6089.
- for the ongoing ministry to tsunami survivors by Mr. Abe and the local church.
- for the Mehns' financial support to stabilize at 100%.
- for their work in church planting, supporting Japanese pastors and several key projects in progress.