Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: You are fortunate if you have a healthy respect for God.
- You are fortunate in your personal life, v. 1-2.
- You are fortunate in your family, v. 3-4.
- You are fortunate in your community, v. 5-6.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes, was there anything that caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: This week we learned how to receive blessings from God. If most of us are honest, we are grateful for God’s provisions… but we also long for more in our relationship with God. The prosperity gospel doesn’t go far enough in describing the meaning of “bless” because it is limited to a material focus. What does God’s blessing look like in your life?
- One of Jesus’ most common commands in the New Testament is “do not fear.” However, one of the most common Old Testament mandates is to “fear God.” How do you bring these together? What does the balance of Psalm 128:1 suggest respect for God involves?
- We live in a culture that sees work as a necessary evil to be avoided if possible. However, this Psalm describes work as a blessing (v. 2). Review Genesis 2:15, 19-20, confirm how work is a part of our original mandate and a blessing from God.
- Families are “coming apart at the seams” in our country and world. What does this passage say about marriage and its priority in the home? What does it say about a husband and father’s responsibility? What does it say about parenting?
- The blessing of God ultimately pushes its way out into the real world. At the end of the day, we are blessed to be a blessing. Jeremiah 29:4-7 describes what God’s will is for the exiles of his nation toward Babylon. How can you seek the welfare of Conifer/Evergreen? How can you serve your neighbor and community?
Taking It Home: You don’t have to worry about the presence and approval of people, when the blessing of God is in our life. Make this prayer a regular part of your language with God: “Your presence and approval are all I need for lasting joy.”
If you are visiting today or if you are new to Aspen Ridge Church, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will welcome you in the library (Room 207).
Are you interested in being baptized? Are there questions surrounding this that we can answer? We have our last orientation meeting at 9:00 AM on July 14 in Room 204. We ask that you attend this meeting to participate. For more information, please contact the main office.
MOPS ANNUAL GARAGE SALE
Our Mothers of Preschoolers program is holding their annual fundraising garage sale on August 3, and they are gratefully accepting donations. Now is a great time to get rid of your stuff, including clothing, accessories, home furnishings, toys, games, books, electronics and household items. Storage is available in the church annex and that key is available through the office. If you can help, please contact the church office or Keturah Kerst at 720.44.MOPS1
FAITH DAY AT COORS FIELD
There are only two Sundays left to purchase your tickets to celebrate Faith Day with the Colorado Rockies! The game is August 11 beginning at 2:10 PM and our seats will be in Section U334 (upper deck - right behind home plate). The seats are $16.00 each and your payment, made in the church office by Sunday–July 21, secures your ticket. David Crowder will be performing a concert after the game!
THE GATHERING IN JULY
What do you do if your parents get caught in a fraudulent deal? How can you help and what can you be aware of before something happens? What can we do to protect our children from the bad parts of the Internet? Come to The Gathering on July 14 and July 21 for answers to these vital questions from Joe Fowler. We meet in Room 104 at 9:00 AM.
THANK YOU SENDOFF FOR PASTOR CASEY AND FAMILY
Please make plans to join us for a potluck luncheon immediately following the Sunday service on July 28 to honor Pastor Casey, Valerie and Maddie Franklin. We are thankful for their enthusiastic ministry here and pray for God’s hand of blessing as they are led to plant a church in South Denver.
JULY MINISTRY HIGHLIGHT: PROPERTIES MINISTRY
The Properties Ministry Team at Aspen Ridge stays busy with improvements and projects that help to maintain, restore and improve the church campus and surrounding areas. This includes two sub-teams: the Campus Improvement Committee and the Church Care Crew. Please see our website for a list of activities that are now underway. For more information contact Jeff Goodwin at 303.679.1093 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE
Samaritan’s Purse is scheduling a local volunteer response for the victims of wildfires in Colorado. Please see our website for a link to find out more about how you could help!
STUDENT MINISTRIES THIS SUMMER
Our Middle School Ministry has a great field trip this week to Water World. The cost is $45, meeting at the church at 8:30 AM back by 8:00 PM. You must sign up with Pastor Casey! The High School Ministry continues this week with their regular Thursday Back Porch, meeting at the church at 6:00 PM for a ride and back at 9:00 PM. Please remember to see our website under the student tab for complete details on this exciting ministry.