PSALM 122: 1-9
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Blessed is the person who assembles in corporate worship with a certain attitude.
- An attitude of gladness
- An attitude of unity
- An attitude of thanksgiving
- An attitude of submission
- An attitude of prayer
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: This week we learned about the importance of attitude in corporate worship. Can you think of times when you have been going through the motions, but lacked the type of attitude in this Psalm? Describe what was going on with you.
- John Piper says worship is a “way of gladly reflecting back to God the radiance of his worth.” How does this attitude show up in Psalm 122 and Psalm 84? What do you see in these Psalms that you would like to make real in your own life?
- The Psalmist makes an architectural metaphor for worship in verse 3. How does 1 Peter 2:4,5 describe our relationship to one another? Where can you foster an attitude of unity by approaching your critics?
- Sometimes it is difficult to generate feelings of thanksgiving in the Christian life. However, the Psalmist says that thanksgiving is “decreed for Israel” (verse 4). How can you act your way into an attitude of gratitude?
- The Psalmist models an attitude of submission to the thrones of judgment (verse 5). Where might you struggle in your attitude toward authority in our nation, state, local authorities or the church?
Taking It Home: Looking back at this week’s teaching and study, where do you need to make an attitude adjustment? How can this adjustment serve to make your worship of God genuine and how can it help in the fulfillment of our mission statement: “Inviting neighbors to find a home in Christ together”?
If you are visiting today or if you are new to Aspen Ridge Church, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will welcome you in the library (Room 207).
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
“Gotta Move!” Vacation Bible School is almost here (June 17-21 from 8:45 AM-12:00 PM) register online or at the table in the lobby. Also plan to attend the Evergreen Parade at 10:00 AM on June 15 and our Community BBQ on June 19 from 5:30-7:30 PM.
Attention Volunteers –There is a VBS Volunteer Orientation Luncheon this Sunday from 12:00-1:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall downstairs. If you did not attend last Sunday, please come to this meeting.
GARRETT AND PARKER WILSON SENDOFF
On June 23, after the Sunday service, Aspen Ridge Church will host a potluck luncheon for Garrett and Parker. Families attending please bring an entrée and either a side dish or dessert to share.
GLOBAL LEADERSHIP SUMMIT
Cherry Hills Community Church in Highlands Ranch, CO will be hosting the summit on August 8 and 9. Aspen Ridge Church will send attendees to this event. If you are interested, you may find out more online at http://www.willowcreek.com/events/leadership. Further, you may register to be a part of our group by contacting Bruce Chaffer at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for folding into this group is June 16.
THE GATHERING IN JUNE – A BIBLICAL BASIS FOR EVANGELISM
The Gathering is an interactive group that meets every Sunday at 9:00 AM in room 104. There are few areas in the Christian life that lead to feelings of frustration and defeat like evangelism. Join Pastor Jeff in June to deal with this practical subject. He will explore subjects like “Hope of Success in Evangelism; Evangelism with Depth; and God-centered Evangelism.” Bring a friend and an inquiring heart.
STAY INFORMED: WEBSITE AND FACEBOOK
The bulletin is only ONE of the ways we communicate information as a church. It has only so much space, but we have a wealth of information that is also regularly posted to our website and to Facebook, as well as being sent in weekly email updates. If you are not currently receiving the emails, and would like to, contact the church office to be added to the distribution list.
Are you interested in being baptized? We will have two orientation meetings at 9:00 AM, one on July 7 and another on July 14 in Room 204. We ask that you attend one of those meetings to participate. For more information, please contact the main office.
DAD’S DAY IS NEXT WEEK – KEEP COLLECTING
The Service Ministry Team continues filling empty baby bottles with spare change for the Mountain Area Pregnancy Center and we are collecting diapers for that group, as well as the Mountain Resource Center. In the lobby you will find empty baby bottles and bins to collect diapers. Remember our target date is Father’s Day (June 16). For more information contact Mike Kelly at 303.717.1669 or email@example.com.
STUDENT MINISTRIES THIS SUMMER
This week, Middle School Student Ministry will be headed to Jumpstreet and Pizza Hut from 2:00-7:00 PM on Wednesday. Meet at the church and bring $32 for the event. High School Back Porch continues this week on Thursday. Meet at the church at 6:00 PM for a ride, returning at 9:00 PM.
John Foundation/Asha Jyothi (www.asha-jyothi.org)
In 2007, Dr. Saji John and his wife Cynthia started Asha Jyothi in India, which ministers to both children and women through Children’s Homes, Tuition Centers, Educational Sponsorship Programs and Employable Skills Training Programs. Asha Jyothi also has evangelism teams that are involved in ministering mainly to children through film shows and book distribution.
- that eight Asha Jyothi children got double promotions in school this year for outstanding performance
- that the fourth children’s home, Joshua Boys’ Home, will open in June
- that on June 4, 92 students graduated high school
- for new batch of church planter’s training beginning in June
- for new skill training in jute bag production starting in July
- for strengthening of our income generation projects