Radical Life Change - Psalm 120:1-7
BIG IDEA: RADICAL LIFE CHANGE IS THE STARTING PLACE IN THE CHRISTIAN LIFE.
- Radical life change is the starting place because of the human condition.
- Radical life change is the starting place because God is Holy.
- Radical life change is the starting place and forgiveness is the fruit.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: This week we learned about radical life change, and how we must sometimes get worse before we get better. Can you think of any times you have had to get worse before you could get better?
- Digging Deeper:
Radical life change is a gracious gift of God and a description of Christian life and conversion. There are two necessary conditions for radical life change: knowledge and sorrow (Matt 11:21; 2 Cor 7:9-10). However, these conditions are not sufficient. What is needed beyond these conditions?
- Radical life change may involve 5 points of application (Knowledge, Agreement, Confession, Prayer, Turning). Where is the process most likely to be short-circuited? Which are the most difficult steps of application?
- Believers make the distinction between the ground of our salvation and the consequences of our salvation. The ground of our salvation is the grace of God which we receive by faith. The consequence or fruit of our salvation is forgiveness by God and toward others.
Taking It Home: Looking back at this week’s teaching and study, what’s the most important thing to remember? Is there someone you need to forgive?
If you are visiting today or if you are new to Aspen Ridge, we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will welcome you in the library (room 207) with some delicious cookies. This is a great opportunity to ask questions and find out more about Aspen Ridge Church.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
Gotta Move! Vacation Bible School is almost here (June 17-21) and we Register online or at the table in the foyer. This is a fun filled week of games, music, crafts, stories and “Keepin’ in step with the Spirit!”
Attention Volunteers – Please mark your calendars for a VBS Volunteer Orientation Luncheon. June 2 or June 9 (pick one) from 12:00-1:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall downstairs. You will get an overview of the VBS week, daily themes and your role within that.
SPECIAL GATHERING ON JUNE 9
There is a combined gathering of the Sunday small groups on June 9 at 9:00 AM. We will have the privilege of hosting Saji Johns, a Christian missionary in India, for this special event. Saji is a pioneer in third-world sustainable ministries. We will also hear an interview with him in our worship services this same weekend.
THANK YOU OFFICE STAFF
Joyce Mathewson – Aspen Ridge Church has been blessed to have Joyce working in a training capacity for the last several months and we appreciate her expertise, patience and cheerfulness! We pray for her success as she engages in providing Hospice Care in our Community, and we will try not to call her too much!
Mary Clark – We have also been blessed to have Mary filling in during our transition time so that the office continued to operate smoothly and efficiently. She will be missed in a staff capacity, but we are grateful to continue to have her as a volunteer!
THE GATHERING: MAY SERIES ON FINANCES
The Gathering is an interactive group that meets every Sunday at 9:00 AM in room 104. Guests and visitors are always welcome. Each month a different topic is discussed. Finances have been the focus in May. Come learn how to apply God’s financial principles in ways that bring financial freedom. Several from Aspen Ridge will share their financial wisdom.
We remember the debt we owe to those who have sacrificed for the sake of our Country’s freedoms, especially our freedom to assemble in corporate worship. We honor those who have served and are serving in our Armed Forces.
MAY MINISTRY HIGHLIGHT: BABY BOTTLES AND DIAPERS!
The Service Ministry Team continues filling empty baby bottles with spare change for the Mountain Area Pregnancy Center and we are collecting diapers for the Mountain Resource Center. In the lobby you will find empty baby bottles and bins to collect diapers. For more information contact Mike Kelly at 303.717.1669 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
STUDENT MINISTRIES THIS SUMMER
Our student ministries will continue throughout the summer.
- UPROAR for middle school students, Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8:00 PM at the church.
- BACK PORCH for high school students, Thursdays from 6:30 to 9:00 PM.
- DENVER MISSIONS TRIP for both middle school and high school students, July 29 to August 2. The team will share the love of Jesus with Denver’s less fortunate. See Pastor Casey or our website for more details.
- SPECIAL EVENTS will occur throughout the summer and will be posted to the website.