Leadership on the Line
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: How will God judge spiritual leaders?
- God will judge against a standard, v. 2.
- God will judge in light of a covenant, v. 4,5.
- God will judge with expectations, v. 6,7.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Today our passage has to do with “leadership on the line.” Think about some spiritual leaders who have made a significant impact on your life (and share their names as appropriate). What was it about their lives that made such a difference? How have they inspired you in the Christian way?
1) Leaders are to listen… to God and to people. When listening to people, they may be fielding a variety of views that cannot all be equally applied. In addition, sometimes good things may be the enemy of the best things. Read Isaiah 50:4,5 with a view toward what God intends to accomplish in the lives of those who listen.
2) God’s covenant with the tribe of Levi is initiated upon an occasion of Phineas dealing severely with disobedience among God’s people (see Num 25:6-13). What was it about Phineas that gave God occasion to make this covenant? How is this a covenant of life and peace (on the one hand) and fear (on the other)?
3) God has expectations of spiritual leaders. Take some time to identify these expectations in verses 5-8. Notice also the way that the leaders in Malachi’s day had fallen short in verses 8-9. Only one leader is perfect… and that is our Savior Jesus Christ. Even so, leaders have standards and expectations given by God. How are your leaders doing?
Taking It Home: God gives direction for a company of faith through appointed leaders. This is a critical role that calls for support and prayer from the people of God. How can you be supportive of your leaders in what you say, what you give, and where you follow? Take time to pray for existing and future leaders of Christ’s church.
If you are visiting today or if you are new to Aspen Ridge Church, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will welcome you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
A MESSAGE FROM PASTOR KERRY
We appreciate your patience as we continue work on upgrading the Celebration Center and chapel audio/video. By the end of October we will have greatly improved video in the Celebration Center, and will have an entire new audio AND video system in the chapel.
FREEZER MEAL PREP IN OCTOBER
Michelle Schroeder will guide you through the preparation of “Freezer Meals” on Tuesday, October 15 in the upstairs kitchen from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Toddler and nursery care provided. We have now included a smaller portion option and one for people who cannot attend. Please see our website for meal selections and cost. Your payment will secure your spot. Contact Michelle at email@example.com with any questions.
MOPS BARN DANCE FUNDRAISER
Kick up your heels and enjoy dinner, dancing and bidding on a variety of auction items at this community event benefitting Aspen Ridge MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). Saturday, October 26 from 5:00 - 9:30 PM, at The Barn at Evergreen Memorial Park. Tickets are on sale now at $10 each and are available in the church office (18 and older please). The timing is perfect so you can come to The Barn at 5:00 PM, attend the Saturday night service at 6:00 PM, and come back to The Barn for more fun!
ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING PACKETS
If you were unable to attend our Annual Business Meeting held on Sunday 9/22, we have the meeting handout available. These packets are available in the church office.
OCTOBER MINISTRY HIGHLIGHT: OUTREACH
The Outreach team is involved in helping Aspen Ridge Church fulfill the mission of the church, to make disciples of all nations and to be witnesses of Jesus both locally and globally. We strive to facilitate these both corporately and individually. We are currently going through a review and change process to become more effective stewards of the resources (financial & people) that God has entrusted us. If you are interested in participating in that process or in getting involved in reaching our community and world, please contact Mark Whaley or Norm Lewis.
Middle Schoolers – Mark your calendars for a trip to JumpStreet at Colorado Mills! We are meeting at the church at 1:00 PM on Saturday, October 19 and returning by 5:00 PM. Please bring $15 for JumpStreet and some more for ice cream afterward. Bring a friend and come join us!
Middle & High School, please plan to attend a Turkey Day Scavenger Hunt on November 2. Our tentative schedule is to meet at the church at 3:00 PM, returning by 8:00 PM. Please check our website for more details on these fun events.
Student Community Bible Study (6th - 12th grades) has begun on Sunday evenings, 6:00 – 8:00 PM, with dinner included. We are studying the book of Genesis. Please contact Ronna Adams at 303.679.0150 for information.
Steve and Ann Miller, WorldTeam, New York City
• for the four Nepali people who confessed Christ last week! Pray for a place to do baptisms.
• for the four teams focusing (in NYC) on the unreached people groups of West Africa, Nepali, Albanian/Kosovar, for confession, discipleship and outreach.
• For Campus Outreach to Internationals, in English conversation groups and Discovery Bible Studies.